Brooklyn subway shooting hurts scores: latest updates

New York City Police and Fire Department officials at the scene of the shooting.
Photo: Justin Lane/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

A lone gunman opened fire inside a crowded subway car in Brooklyn during Tuesday morning rush hour, injuring ten people, authorities said. At least sixteen people are being treated for injuries sustained in the attack and five are in critical condition, officials said. The chaos froze subway service across a wide swath of Brooklyn and rocked residents of the city.

The attack began shortly before 8:30 a.m. in the vicinity of Sunset Park. Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell told reporters at an afternoon news conference that a man riding an N train to Manhattan put on what she called a gas mask and produced a canister from a bag, which he used to fill the car with smoke. The man then opened fire inside the car as the train pulled into the 36th Street station, hitting several people who spilled onto the platform as the train opened the doors. The shooter, who escaped the scene and is still at large, was allegedly armed with a Glock semi-automatic handgun and extended magazines – and the gun apparently jammed during the attack, a said a law enforcement official. gothamist.

WNYC reporter Juliana Fonda was riding on the same train when she noticed a commotion in the nearby car. “The reaction from passengers has been terrifying. They were trying to get into our car away from something going on at the back of the train,” she said. mentionedreminiscent of the sound of “loud pops”.

Disturbing eyewitness footage shared on social media showed passengers fleeing a smoke-filled car as the train entered the station, with several bleeding onto the platform floor:

According to initial reports, bombs had been found at the scene. Sewell clarified that there were “no known explosive devices currently on our Tube trains”. Sewell also said the shooting is not currently being investigated as an act of terrorism. A bag full of fireworks was recovered by investigators, according to BNC News:

Daniel Gamz and Johnathan Muravick were taking the N train to Brooklyn Technical High School, where they are students, as the attack began in another car. When the train arrived at the 36th Street station, a conductor told the passengers over a loudspeaker to get off. “We didn’t know there had been a shooting at first; I thought someone had a stroke or something,” Gamz said. As they exited and crossed the platform, Muravick saw a man from their train limping and clutching the side of his upper leg. The two and a third classmate boarded the R train and proceeded to the next stop at 25th Street, where police swarmed the station.

Fernando, a 70-year-old Sunset Park resident, saw people running out of the 36th Street station around 8:30 a.m., including a man who was visibly bleeding from his leg. “It’s crazy, totally crazy,” he said in disbelief.

Sewell said police were looking for the suspect, who she described as a medium-to-tall black man wearing a green construction vest and gray hoodie. The manhunt may be hampered by the lack of functioning surveillance cameras inside the 36th Street station, according to At New York Timebut CNN reports that police obtained cellphone video footage that shows the suspect. The NYPD is also run down involving a U-Haul van. Officials did not discuss the shooter’s potential motive, but Governor Kathy Hochul, at the same press conference, linked the attack to the rising tide of gun violence across the city, saying, “Stop the madness of these crimes”.

Mayor Eric Adams addressed the attack during a media blitz as he self-isolates with COVID. “We can’t allow a terror to terrorize us so that we don’t continue to function as a city,” he told CNN. “We do not yet know what the source of this incident is. But I call on New Yorkers to continue to be as resilient as we have often been. Adams added that he would double the number of NYPD officers patrolling the subway, apparently in addition to increased patrols since he took office.

Much of Sunset Park remained virtually locked down hours after the attack ended, with helicopters whirling overhead and Fourth Avenue choked with countless police vehicles and fire trucks. Neighboring schools were Locked, but students and teachers could be seen looking out of the classroom windows. Train service remained suspended for hours, leaving one resident to say he was unsure how he would get to work without the subway.

— With additional reporting by Nia Prater.

Comments are closed.