Lincoln Park shooting victim leaves intensive care. ‘Glory to God’, says the mother

A man who was shot in the street in Lincoln Park when his cell phone was stolen has left intensive care and continues to improve.

“He is doing very well but there are still hurdles to overcome,” his mother Joy Dobbs said on Thursday.

Dakotah Earley left the intensive care unit at Illinois Masonic Medical Center on Wednesday and will no longer need an hourly nurse, Dobbs said. He is no longer on dialysis, but his jaw will remain closed for another three weeks, she said.

“Praise God,” Dobbs wrote on Twitter when breaking the news.

Earley, who turned 24 last week, was shot on May 6 as he struggled with a gunman who knocked him down and fired at least three times.

Earley had part of his leg amputated. Last week he was still unable to speak and may have had to undergo a third surgery to further amputate his leg, his mother said, but it was unnecessary. He also underwent surgery to close his abdomen.

Earley’s condition continues to improve, she said. Last weekend, Dobbs said her son was awake and writing a wish list.

“He wants Ollie pop, kombucha. Learn to drive (finally) and your own place” without roommates, tweeted Dobbs. Later that day, he was able to sit down and hug her, she said.

Dobbs spoke publicly about her son last week and thanked the person who looked after her son while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. Tyshon Brownlee, 19, has been charged in the Earley attack and four other North Side armed robberies.

Prosecutors said Earley was walking on a sidewalk near the corner of Webster and Wayne Avenues when Brownlee emerged from behind a building, pointed a gun and demanded his cell phone and passcode.

The 9mm handgun Brownlee was holding exploded as they struggled and Earley tried to defend himself, police said. Brownlee then stood over Earley and shot him again, stopped and shot him a third time.


Joy Dobbs, mother of shooting victim Dakotah Earley, speaks during a press conference at City Hall in the Loop, Monday morning May 23, 2022.

Doctors expect Earley to begin acute rehabilitation within the next three to four weeks, where he will learn to use a prosthetic leg, Dobbs said.

The experience was “extremely difficult” emotionally, Dobbs said.

“Almost the whole world watched my son get shot. I can only imagine what he is going through and what he remembers,” she said.

Although Earley can’t speak, his face “lights up” and he has the same sense of humor, his mother said. “He has a good outlook and a good outlook.”

A security video image of the theft in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.  Dakotah Earley, 23, walked on a sidewalk at Webster and Wayne avenues on May 6.

A security video image of the theft in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. Dakotah Earley, 23, walked on a sidewalk at Webster and Wayne avenues on May 6.

Family and friends helped Dobbs and his son recover.

“Someone reminded me that self-love helps me keep taking care of him. Sometimes I forget that because I’m on autopilot, making sure he has everything he needs. he needs,” she said. “He’s just the most amazing person I know right now. He fights so hard.

“For all the tragedy, there are still some very good people in Chicago,” Dobbs said.

“Sometimes people send him cookbooks and maps and he pulls a face like he can’t believe it,” she said. Early had studied to be a chef.

“He’s the kind of kid who doesn’t want to get attention,” his mother said. “But he’s got all the attention in Chicago right now.”

Comments are closed.