Match Report: Grimsby Town 0-1 Chesterfield – News

Grimsby Town were beaten by a late goal as National League leaders Chesterfield claimed a hard-fought victory at Blundell Park.

After an intriguing fight with little choice between the two teams, it was division top scorer Kabongo Tshimanga who delivered the decisive blow with six minutes remaining.

The Mariners fought hard throughout the game and limited their visitors to few real chances, but couldn’t force a breakthrough on the other end and had to call as they ran into a second home loss of the season and a seventh in their last eight games. games in all competitions.

Four changes have been made to Grimsby’s starting XI following the loss to Dagenham and Redbridge last time around, with the Mariners desperate for a good performance and a result to stop their poor form.

Shaun Pearson, Adam Crookes, Giles Coke and Sam Bell were the men to enter the squad, replacing Ryley Towler, Jordan Maguire-Drew and suspended pair Alex Hunt and John McAtee.

Max Crocombe retained his place in goal with Pearson, Luke Waterfall and David Longe-King forming a three-way back while Michee Efete and Crookes operated as full-backs. Coke was joined in midfield by Ben Fox and Harry Clifton, with Bell supporting Ryan Taylor in attack.

Maguire-Drew was named to the bench, alongside Seb Revan, Ryan Sears, Lenell John-Lewis and Sean Scannell.

Chesterfield entered the game sitting at the top of the table and on good form which also saw them face Salford City last week to set up an FA Cup third round match against Chelsea.

Their attack boasted of Tshimanga, who would be set to add to his 17 league goals so far this season, while former Town forwards Stefan Payne and Akwasi Asante both had to make do with their places among substitutes.

An early cross from Tshimanga on the right was comfortably caught by Crocombe, before Clifton escaped an early booking for a late challenge against midfielder Curtis Weston.

Another free kick to the outside came for a Crookes foul on Tyrone Williams at the halfway line, but it came to nothing as a foul was imposed in favor of the Mariners when the ball was sent to the area of repair.

Town won the game’s first corner in the 12th minute and Fox’s left wing delivery was thrown back to him, with the midfielder eventually winning a touch near the corner flag.

The home side’s first game opportunity came in the 19th minute and saw unmarked Clifton put the ball into Waterfall’s box, but he couldn’t aim his head at the target.

Bell then sent a narrow volley after Fox directed the ball towards the forward after some good preparation.
Neither goalkeeper had been called for serious action as the half-hour mark passed, with Jim Kellermann heading wide at one end before a 25-yard effort from Clifton was loaded to the other.

Efete managed to hit the target with a shot from inside the box but it was comfortable for Chesterfield stopper Scott Loach.

Soon after, a quick break from the visitors looked dangerous, but a Calvin Miller cross on the left grazed the top of the bar and eventually came out for a goal kick.

Bell won a corner kick in the 39th minute when his shot was blocked after a superb run through Fox’s cross. The flag kick was taken by Fox but his ball was cleared by defender Jamie Grimes.

Curtis Weston released a 25-yard shot two minutes later, although he suffered a strong deflection that allowed Crocombe to pass the ball into the City goal.

Kellermann came closest to opening the scoring when he was found by Tshimanga on the edge of the box. He aimed for the far corner of the net with weak effort, but Crocombe managed a touch to send the ball for a corner, which was cleared.

Liam Mandeville shot over the bar as the game entered an extra minute before the break and with no further luck for both sides the game went scoreless at half-time.

No changes were made before the restart and Coke received the first yellow card of the afternoon two minutes later for a foul. Mandeville’s free kick was claimed with confidence by Crocombe.

A foul on Efete midway through gave Town a chance to put pressure on the Chesterfield defense and after Fox’s free kick was cleared for a throw-in the hosts won a corner to the left.

Tshimanga shot high and wide from the edge of the box in the 58th minute after a run to the right from Tyrone Williams, with real chances for both teams still proving hard to find as defenses remained on top.

Williams won a corner for the visitors’ right when his cross was blocked by Crookes and the flag delivery appeared to have been aimed at another by a stunt, but the referee ruled that the finishing touch came from a Chesterfield player and pointed a goal kick.

Efete sent a cross out of play for a goal kick to the other end after a nice one-two with Fox, before Clifton missed the mark with a curling shot from 20 yards after Bell cut the box from the left.

Jack Clarke replaced Mandeville as the away team made the game’s first substitution in the 67th minute with both teams still looking for a breakthrough.

Goalkeeper Loach got a cross from Crookes past Taylor in the 78th minute, before a foul on Coke gave the Mariners a free kick down the halfway line. Again, Crookes’ ball was caught by Loach.

Saidou Khan replaced Emmanuel Oyeleke in Chesterfield’s second change 10 minutes to go, before John-Lewis replaced Taylor as Town boss Paul Hurst turned to his bench for the first time.

A foul by Longe-King gave the opposing team a free kick in Grimsby’s half of the field in the 83rd minute and the stalemate was finally broken. Kellermann’s chip in the box was aimed and TSHIMANGA leapt up to hit a brilliant volley that gave Crocombe no chance as he soared into the roof of the net.

Tshimanga was booked for celebrating too much in front of Town fans in the Youngs Stand, before a double substitution saw Maguire-Drew and Scannell replace Longe-King and Bell.

Tshimanga had another chance soon after but this time his weak effort at a narrow angle was blocked by Crocombe at his near post for a corner kick.

Payne replaced Tshimanga as the game stretched for another four minutes, with Town pushing forward in search of an equalizer.

They were inches from drawing level as the clock ticked, Pearson fizzing a ball through the six-meter box that Waterfall could only deflect above the bar at the far post.

It turned out to be the Mariners’ last chance to get anything out of the game as the visitors had to celebrate three big points with their 1,483 traveling fans.

Town will be next in action on Saturday, when they travel to Stockport County for the FA Trophy.

Comments are closed.