Report | Gillingham 1-0 AFC Fylde – News

Gills advanced to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup after beating AFC Fylde at ME7.

Lewis Walker scored the game’s only goal as Gillingham qualified for the Emirates FA Cup second round with a 1-0 win over AFC Fylde at MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

Neil Harris made five changes to the starting XI which were beaten by Northampton at the weekend. Jake Turner, Cheye Alexander, Max Ehmer, Scott Kashket and Lewis Walker all made the XI.

Glenn Morris was not on the team after being injured on Saturday. Taite Holtam was among the submarines.

Walker had Gillingham’s first chance in the ninth minute. Stuart O’Keefe made a quick throw, which the striker got in the end. The former QPR man advanced into the box but missed the target from a difficult angle.

Moments later, Kashket won a penalty after being knocked down by Alex Whitmore. The Gills striker took the kick himself, he sent the keeper the wrong way but guided the effort just wide.

Gills began to take control of the game as he continued to press for AFC Fylde’s goal. The ball was well placed for Dom Jefferies to shoot from 12 yards out, but he couldn’t make clear contact with his effort as he swung away from the post with a slipping defense at the last moment to discourage him.

Nick Haughton netted AFC Fylde’s first shot on target in the 22nd minute. The midfielder found space to shoot from around 20 yards out, but his curling effort proved to be a comfortable save for Jake Turner.

Walker gave Gillingham the lead minutes before the break. Gills gained possession high up the field and the ball was played to the striker, who went one-on-one. Neal was coming to close Walker, but he calmly placed him past the visiting keeper.

HALF-TIME: Gillingham 1-0 AFC Fylde

Haughton forced Turner into a save in the 50th minute as he tried to catch Gills keeper out of reach. It was a powerful shot, which Turner had to drive over the bar for a corner, which went nowhere.

Alexander made an important header clearance to prevent Joe Rowley from having a huge chance to equalise. Haughton’s cross into the box appeared to be on a plate for Rowley to drive home, but Alexander was on hand to get the all-important touch and keep Gillingham in front.

Kashket nearly made it two for the hosts as he did well to force his way into the AFC Fylde penalty area on the left side. However, he saw his effort saved by Neal, who came to close the shot.

Emeka Obi forced Turner to a save in the 64th minute. After a few blocks, the ball found its way to Obi, who was 20 yards from goal. He hit the effort with a lot of power, but Turner did a good job of making up the effort.

The visitors continued to search for an equalizer as they put Gillingham behind four and a goal under pressure. However, Neil Harris’ men remained strong as the hosts progressed to the second round, where they will travel to Dagenham and Redbridge.

FULL TIME: Gillingham 1-0 AFC Fylde

Gillingham: Turner, Alexander, Ehmer (Wright 46′), Baggott, McKenzie (Mnoga 67′), Jefferies (Law 90′), O’Keefe, Williams, Green (Reeves 66′), Kashket (MacDonald 82′), Walker

Unused substitutes: Holtam, Lee, Adelakun, Mandron

AFC Fylde: Neal, Weston (Philliskirk 63′), Obi, Whitmore, Rowley (Patten 73′), Haughton, Conlan, Ligendza, Whitehead, Hatfield, Bird

Unused substitutes: Davis, McPartlan

Arbitrator: Does Finnie

Presence: 1932 (66)

Comments are closed.