Shooting in Kesgrave: a teenager locked up for 24 years

0

A 16-year-old boy who watched for a friend and shot him in the face at close range, causing devastating injuries, after playing violent computer games has been locked up for 24 years.

Sentencing Jacob Talbot-Lummis, who can be appointed for the first time today, Judge Martyn Levett called him “dangerous” and said he was “a hair’s breadth away” from killing the victim.

He said the teenager ambushed him in order to carry out a “savage and planned execution” and caused him “incredibly serious injuries”.


Jacob Talbot-Lummis, who shot his friend in Kesgrave
– Credit: Suffolk Police

Judge Levett said that although Talbot-Lummis claimed he was intimidated by the victim, he never told anyone in authority.

“I do not accept that there was intimidation on the scale or degree suggested by the defense,” the judge said.

He said that if Talbot-Lummis had just wanted to scare the victim, he could have taken an air pistol which he kept in his room and should not have resorted to the elaborate measures he had – stealing a rifle from hunting and ammunition to his grandfather. residence.

He said the case once again highlights the danger presented by guns and the “glorification” of violence in online computer games.

He said Talbot-Lummis’ plan to take the victim to a forest and gunfire was similar to the plot of a game called Hitman.

“Gun violence affects entire communities and it is time to focus on the impact of those traumatized by gun violence,” the judge said.

Judge Levett said that after ambushing the victim outside his home and shooting him once, Talbot-Lummis only refrained from shooting him a second time because the boy fell to the ground and was obscured by a car.

He sentenced the boy to 24 years in detention with an extended license period of five years. He said the teen would not be released until the parole board decided it was safe to do so.

Talbot-Lummis, who was 15 at the time of the Friends Walk, Kesgrave shooting in September last year, was convicted of attempted murder by a jury in June after a month of trial.

The teenager was also convicted of possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger his life.

Talbot-Lummis, of Carol Avenue, Martlesham, could not be identified at his trial due to his young age but today Judge Levett agreed to lift the order protecting his identity due to the gravity infringements following a request from this newspaper.

The victim’s parents watched the sentencing hearing via a video link.

He was due to be sentenced in September, but the hearing was adjourned after Judge Levett learned that, while the boy was in custody three weeks after the shooting, he said he would “likely kill again” and ” would like to be famous for its chemicals. war”.

The judge said he should consider whether the comments were “bravado.”

During the teenager’s trial, the court heard that the shooting took place as the victim walked to school on September 7 last year, the first day since the first nationwide lockdown.

Riel Karmy-Jones QC said Talbot-Lummis took his grandfather’s double barreled shotgun before heading to Friends Walk at Grange Farm, Kesgrave in his father’s car.


Shooting at Kesgrave: The weapon used

The weapon used in the Kesgrave shooting
– Credit: Suffolk Police

There he waited for over an hour, and when he saw the boy around 8:40 am, he ordered him to get into the car.

The boy, also 15, refused and was then shot at close range, causing a “significant” injury to the side of his face.

The court heard that he recalled hearing a bang and falling to the ground and seeing the accused standing nearby, looking “calm and serene and undisturbed.”

He suffered a stroke after being taken to hospital and was left partially paralyzed with brain damage and was not fit enough to attend the trial.

Experts estimated that the muzzle of the weapon was between 0.75 m and 1.5 m from the victim’s face when fired.

A friend of the two boys later told police the accused had been planning the attack for a year but mistakenly assumed he was joking.

Police located the car the teenager was driving in Ipswich two hours later and had to break the window to get him out.

A Beretta double barreled shotgun was found in the car along with two boxes of shotgun shells.

When the boy learned he was suspected of attempted murder, he told the police, “I’m 100% guilty of this. I did what I wanted to do – it’s ugly as it is. “

Testifying during the trial, he denied having deliberately shot the victim.

He claimed the victim had subjected him to years of “humiliation and fear” and said he planned to kidnap him and threaten him with a gun to teach him a lesson.

The court heard that since the attack the victim, who had known the accused since elementary school, had undergone 15 operations, including major surgery to the jaw and skull.

He could now walk short distances but was unable to use his left arm and needed support for his daily activities.

He also had cognitive difficulties and a new surgery was planned for the future.

In a personal impact statement, he said the “callous” attack had “ruined his career aspirations” and left him “picking up the pieces” of his life.

The victim’s father said what happened would “haunt him forever”.

He said his son would “never have the life he was meant to” and described the time he spent by his child’s bedside in the hospital after the shooting as “75 days of hell”.

The victim’s mother described the accused as “mean and full of hate”.

Diana Ellis QC, for Talbot-Lummis, said her client would have to live with knowing the consequences of her actions that day.

She said he expressed regret and remorse for what he did, during his trial, to those who prepared reports on him and his family.

She said the fact that the victim was alive today was due to the “extremely impressive” work of the medical staff immediately after the shooting.

Miss Ellis said that, more than a year after the shooting, her client “truly appreciates” the impact of her behavior on the victim, the victim’s family, her own family and the local community.

She said it was not admitted that Talbot-Lummis had lured the victim out of his home to commit the offense.

Regarding the motive for the attack, she said the accused’s life had become “intolerable” due to the intimidation he suffered from the victim, which he said was was produced most of her school life.

She said her client had always said he felt “humiliated and belittled” by the victim, and during summer vacation he brooded over his feelings and dreaded facing her again.

She said she would not be doing her client’s case justice if she did not bring the bullying allegations to the attention of the court, which were supported by a friend.

She said her client became desensitized by initiating himself into violent games, suitable for over 18s, since the age of nine and then switched to violent reality games in which he was the ” first shooter “.

“Her life outside of school seems to have consisted of watching these very violent games,” she added.

She said he was an only child, raised by his mother, who had mental health issues and alcohol problems.

She said the accused’s mother and father had never lived together and that he was without a father figure until he was eight years old.

Miss Ellis said a medical expert found that Talbot-Lummis’ mental health had deteriorated from the age of 13 and that he was suffering from depression at the time of the shooting.

She said the teenager’s comments about “probably killing someone in the future” and that he “would like to be famous for chemical warfare”, which were made while in custody for three weeks after the shooting, had not been taken seriously by staff. who called them “bravado”.

She said experts also said the teenager did not meet the criteria to be considered dangerous.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.